We have a wonderful team at The Watergate Hotel. Get to know us a little bit better through our new series of team interviews. First up, our Bell Captain and Supervisor, Zacharia Powers.
- What is your role at The Watergate Hotel?
It seems different people think of me in different roles. Technically, I am a supervisor and the Bell Captain. But I frequently hear my name being used as “The Face of The Watergate.”
- What is your proudest moment at The Watergate Hotel?
Certainly to be recognized by my peers and managers as the Employee of the Year has to be one of the most humbling experiences of my life.
- Before working at The Watergate Hotel, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I’ve had an eclectic life and many unusual jobs — from, being the live-in grounds keeper to the heirs of the Miller Brewery in Milwaukee; working with rockets, bombs, and missiles on 6 aircrafts carriers; to living with an eskimo in his cabin as I was a carpenter at Mt. Denali National Park in Alaska; to tinting the windows on the Sears Tower in Chicago.
- What is the most important thing you have learned in the last five years?
True friends aren’t discovered in the best of times, they are revealed at the worst of times — because they are the ones still at your side when the dust and smoke settle.
- If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see cast as you?
I don’t know —- maybe, Ryan Philippe
- You’re happiest when?
When I know my life is being a positive consequence in the lives of others.